By: Otaiba Ahsan
We come in all shapes and sizes. This means for those of us who drive, we often like to have our steering wheel in a certain position. Having to adjust it can be a pain at times, especially in older vehicles. However, if you drive a Tesla then you’re in luck! They’ve made the process extremely simple. Continue reading for steps on how to adjust the steering wheel position in a Tesla Model 3 or Model Y.
Adjusting the Steering Wheel Position
To adjust the steering wheel position when in your Tesla, make sure your car is in park, then touch Controls and tap the Steering icon. Next, you’ll be able to use the left scroll button to make the changes you’d like.
To adjust the height and tilt angle of the steering wheel, roll the left scroll button up or down. Lastly, to move the steering wheel closer to you, or further away from you, push the left scroll button to the right or left.
Once you’re done, hit Save to make sure your desired setting is set to your driver profile. We’ve created detailed guides on how to add a new driver profile to your Tesla, as well as how to link an individual key to a driver profile for your convenience. Doing both will help create the most personalized experience possible.
Adjusting the Steering Wheel Effort
Not only can you change the position of your steering wheel, but you can actually adjust the effort. This means you can play with the amount of effort needed to turn the steering wheel when driving. Some people like it loose, while others prefer that it’s stiffer.
To make the change, touch Controls > Pedals & Steering > Steering Mode on the screen in your Tesla. Choose from one of three steering options.
- Comfort: This reduces the effort to turn your steering wheel and makes it easy to drive and park.
- Standard: Tesla believes that this setting offers the best handling and response in most conditions. It’s also the setting I keep my car at when driving.
Sport: This increases the effort required to turn your steering wheel. Many who plan to drive at higher speeds keep it at this setting and claim their driving feels more responsive as a result.
Other Steering Wheel Features
All steering wheels in the Tesla Model 3 and Model Y come with a scroll button located on each side of the steering wheel. You can roll them up or down, push them left or right, and press down on the center of each wheel.
Use the left scroll button for:
- Volume Control: Roll the left scroll button up to raise the volume, and down to lower it. Also, you can press the button to instantly mute or unmute the audio that’s playing.
- Music Control: Push the left scroll button to the right if you’d like to skip the song or podcast playing, and to the left to either replay the current selection or go back to the previous one.
- Adjustments: When changing the position of your side mirrors and steering wheel, the left scroll button is used.
Use the right scroll button for:
- Voice Command: To activate this feature, press the right scroll button and you’ll be prompted to say whatever your voice command is.
- Traffic-Aware Cruise Control: You can adjust your set speed and the distance you’d like to maintain between cars. To increase the set speed, roll the scroll button up, and to decrease it roll it down. Lastly, to adjust the distance between cars push the button to the left or right.
Lastly, when in the climate settings, you can choose between two settings for the heated steering wheel. You can also do this from the settings in your mobile app. This is especially useful if you’re living somewhere with cold winters.
The Bottom Line
The steps on how to adjust the steering wheel position in a Tesla Model 3 or Model Y are easy. When your car is in park, tap Controls and touch the Steering icon to get started. Use the left scroll button to make your desired changes. You can move the wheel closer towards you or further away and adjust it so it’s either higher or lower.